Friday, October 24, 2014

On Eating and Dining

Hello my wonderful Blahggers!

As a college student, I usually spend the first two meals of my day (lunch and dinner) eating food at or from one of the two locations on campus. (Or in my room if I just am too lazy to do much movement.) Usually, my roommate and I enjoy our meals together, and, if she isn't there, I see and sit with one of my other friends. However, some days I do end up eating alone.

In fact, this happened just the other day. It isn't a bad thing, actually. It gives me time to think, ponder the meaning of life, my plans for world peace, and other things. When I was eating by myself on Tuesday, I noticed that it took me about 10 minutes between the time I got my food and the time I walked out of the dining hall. However, yesterday I was there for over an hour with four friends.

So, what was really that different between Tuesday and Thursday?

My reasoning: it's the difference between eating and dining.

Eating, as defined by the dictionary, is the act of a person or thing or putting something into the mouth, chewing, and then swallowing it for nourishment. That seems pretty correct to me.

Why do people eat?

Well, if you base this off of what my drugs and society professor says: we have a food addiction. Yes, because humans tend to eat when we aren't hungry. But, also, because we get to a point where hunger becomes painful and uncomfortable, thus, we eat to rid ourselves of the discomfort (much like a heroine addict avoiding withdrawal).

But then, there's the reason most of us think of when eating comes to mind: we do it because we get hungry and our bodies need sustenance. That's a simple fact of nature. All living things have to eat food of some sort in order to sustain life.

It's a law of nature which we can't avoid, no matter how inconvenient it may be. As living beings, humans can't just decide we're too busy to eat without suffering some sort of consequence like shakiness or, if one is rather unlucky, passing out from low blood sugar.

So, I take a 10-minute break from my life to recharge my system and avoid that tight feeling in my stomach when if grumbles at me for skipping a meal.

Okay, so, all animals eat. But what about dining? That's just a human thing. The dictionary definition of this word is to eat the principal meal of the day (to have dinner) or to take any meal. Sounds a bit like eating, if you ask me. However, that's just it's use without a noun. With a noun, it takes on a whole different meaning; a meaning that I like better: to entertain at dinner. (Or, in my opinion, any meal.)

The Italians have the art of dining down pat. Or, at least from what I've heard. I haven't ever actually eaten (nor dined) with an Italian, though I would love to.

Why do I say this? Meals in Italy last a very long time. We're talking 10-course dinners (aperitif, appetizer, first, second, boundary, salad, cheese and fruit, sweet/dessert, coffee, and digestive) and hours of stories, songs, and laughter. Like I said: I'd love to dine with the Italians.

Taking your time to eat and enjoy your food, as well as the company you are with (no matter how long that may take) is what dining is. Personally, I love catching up with the other people I'm dining with and attempting to (sometimes with great difficulty) follow the conversation.

Humans are very social creatures; it's in our nature, and it's how we've survived this long. So, it stands to reason that, if both eating and being social are in our programming, then dining is an essential part of human life, as well. It's part of what makes us humans.

Hannah Haugen
The Daily Blahgger










No comments:

Post a Comment