Wednesday, June 1, 2016

BEWARE Nanny Scam :(

SEEN THIS? THIS GUY IS A SCAMMER: 
"...We will be forwarding money for Shelly's items plus an upfront payment  for you so as to secure your service for me and the Toy Seller will send you Shelly's stuffs before we arrive with Shelly so that you can put everything in place prior to our arrival, The toy seller will be sending a car seat,Swing  and some toys because she has special toys she loves and admires so much. So, I need you to get back to me with the information below in other for me to forward it to my Accountant for him to issue out your payment without any delay. (Your Full Name, Address, City, State,Postal code Tele#)." 


I recently graduated with a degree in elementary education, and so I decided it would be great for me to start to look for summer nanny work before my teaching job starts up in the fall. I signed up for care.com and sittercity and have been applying for jobs. Well, two days ago, I received a text message from a man who I am assuming found my information on care.com. I did not suspect a thing. After a few texts, we exchanged email addresses and he began to email me some more information about his daughter. There was horrible grammar. I didn't suspect anything from the grammar since he said he was moving from out of state. I guess I just assumed he was Indian. Or Hispanic. Or something.

How are you today? I appreciate your interest in sitting my daughter, here are some information about my daughter, My Daughter name is Shelly and she is 4yrs young ,She is a great kid and easy to get along with. She is a sweet, loving girl who loves to swim, play, be outside, go to parks, go on walks and just have fun.
  
She is very bright, engaging, and love to explore her surroundings. She is potty trained, free eater, well cultured, very well behaved and well mannered and she is not allergy to food or anything. I am looking for someone who will be caring, kind, and patient with Shelly. It is a wonderful 4 days per week, Monday Thru Thursday. I will be dropping her off in the morning by 9:30 am and will pick her up by 2:30 pm or in the evening by 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm because i can decide to shift my duty to afternoon; if you can't work the hours, you can work during the weekend while I get someone else to do this hours. So,We will be lodging in a hotel around you but 
you can babysit her in the hotel or I drop her to your home if you want me (let me know your preferred option). I will be very happy if you can let me know your charges per hour and I also want you to get back to me with your total estimate for a month, so as to have you booked and secured prior to my arrival, as I am rounding off plans and allotting money to issues that should be settled prior to my arrival. Start date is Early June till end of November.This offer for someone of well mannered attitudes, neatness and good sense of relationship, so if you are interested in this offer, please answer all my questions below:

* Are you married?  * Do you have any special attitude? *Do you 
have a valid driver’s license? *How old are you ? *Do you have any 
crime records? *Do you have an open availability? *What are your 
charges per hour?

Thank you for your time

I sent back a vague response, asking some questions and not at all committing. Then I got this message: 

Thank you for your response.I'm very happy that you are ready to work with us. We are coming to state and staying in an Hotel because of My wife Grace who is presently in the sick bed suffering from breast cancer and need to undergo surgery,I don't wanna talk about this but I think it is important since you would be working as the nanny to my Kid.(Shelly). I will like to secure you to babysit Shelly because After a serious discussion with my father inlaw concerning a proper care for Shelly We finally decided to search for a good and responsible Nanny/babysitter. We are strongly searching for someone of well mannered attitudes, neatness and good sense of relationship. Which i already found in you. We are a Christian family and we love our religion so basically everything we do is according to our doctrines, I don't mind your religion but just letting you know so we don't offend you.  I also want to inform you that we will be forwarding money for Shelly's items plus an upfront payment  for you so as to secure your service for me and the Toy Seller will send you Shelly's stuffs before we arrive with Shelly so that you can put everything in place prior to our arrival, The toy seller will be sending a car seat,Swing  and some toys because she has special toys she loves and admires so much. So, I need you to get back to me with the information below in other for me to forward it to my Accountant for him to issue out your payment without any delay. (Your Full Name, Address, City, State,Postal code Tele#). Attached are the pics of my family and i want you to attach your's as well so that i can be rest assured and Shelly can be familiar with it. I hope to read from you soon.

Red Flag #1: "you are ready to work with us". Um, no, I never said that. 
Red Flag #2: Why would they be coming to Minnesota for this cancer surgery? Also, a hotel near me? I live pretty far away from Minneapolis. 
Red Flag #3: "Which I already found in you". I barely said anything to him. How could he know I am what he is looking for. If he cares so much about his family and about his religion, why wouldn't he want to make sure that he actually finds a Christian nanny?
Red Flag #4: Wait, you're forwarding money for her items? So, you want ME to buy her items? Um, no. Also, you never met me. Also, I'm super wary about money, so this was A HUGE red flag for me. 
Red Flag #5: "Toy Seller". What?
Red Flag #6: Who has an accountant? Someone with this bad of grammar/broken English? Yeah, I don't think so. 

I looked it up, and it is INDEED A SCAM. Here's how it works. He would send me money (probably like $2000) in the form a fake check. I would deposit the check into my bank account. Some would be my "payment". The rest of the money would be wired to someone, such as the "Toy Seller". In about a week, the bank would realize that the check was faulty. I however, had already wired the money to the Toy Seller (actually the scammer) who now has my hard-earned money and I am left with a negative bank account. There ya have it folks. 

I've done a little research on this guy. If you see any of these names, or the same message as the one I sent, STEER CLEAR. I'm glad I did. Basically if someone offers to send you money, don't do it. 
Michael Bruckner
Ralph Collin
Brydon Holmes



No comments:

Post a Comment