Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Best Wedding Presents

        Hey there!  My mom's wedding is this Saturday.  She's having it in Wilmington, North Carolina; we've been planning and preparing for months.  Everyone has been buying gifts for her and her fiance.  Normally, when you think of wedding gifts, you think curtains, sheets, pillows, dishes, silverware, etc.  Well, her gifts now include tornadoes  earthquakes, and a hurricane!  That's right, Mother Nature has a splendid idea for the most esteemed of days.


        A few days ago, here in Wilmington there was at least one funnel cloud making an appearance.  It was a nice storm that I could see from my grandparent's backyard. (Though, I didn't see the funnel cloud.)  There was an incredible amount of lightning and (booming) thunder.  I was raised in Minnesota, so the news of a tornado didn't scare or startle me in the least.

        I was started by the earthquake today.  I've never experienced the ground moving...for a while I thought I was insane.  I looked around to see the decorative bird houses in doorways and by windows swaying back and forth, and the coffee in the pot splashing slightly.  After a few minutes my grandmother walked inside and asked if I'd felt it, too.  For awhile, she thought it was a large truck driving by outside so she went to get the mail and check.  So far, they haven't found any major damages caused by the 5.9 Richter Scale earthquake, and no one's been hurt or killed.

        Mom's so excited for the arrival of Irene.  Many people have said that they'd come; by canoe if they had to!  Some people are worried about having to cancel it, but as time goes on, Irene moves farther and farther to the East, so looks like the show will go on!  I do find this slighty amusing...mostly because a few weeks ago I'd been joking with my mother about bad weather hitting the area on the day of her wedding.  I only said rain, but it's still funny.

        I can't wait to see what other presents (if any) Mother Nature decides to throw at us next!

GuardianSakura
(The Daily Blahgger)

Hurican Irene 6:00 AM 8/23
Map of VA and the earthquake
Funnel cloud in Wilmington, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment