Saturday, July 13, 2013

Boldly Baldwin

Hey my Blahgady Blahggers!!

Guess what today was? No, really, guess!!

TODAY WAS MY FRESHMAN ORIENTATION AT MBC!!!!

I had an absolute blast! I was so excited that I didn't sleep a wink last night...And at six in the morning, my Mom and I climbed into the car and headed off on the 2 hour and 12 minute drive to Staunton. (Which was WAY too long, if you ask me.)

We got there early and started wandering about the campus ourselves for a little bit, trying to figure at what buildings where were and stuff like that. At 9:30 we had an appointment to talk to a financial aid counselor (seeing as Mom was slightly worried about sending me and two siblings to college at the same time in the near-ish future. She also gave us some general peace of mind with a lot of other stuff, too.)

When that was over and done with, we headed over to the main event. I snagged a name tag, button, and folder full of stuff like a map and schedule of the day's events. T'was then that I met Gladys the squirrel, the school's mascot.

So, we headed up to the auditorium for a short welcome session and then a faculty panel where we could as a group a teachers questions about the school, program, etc. Again, something that was way to long and only sparked my interest a few times. Mom and I spent most of the panel whispering to each other and making comments about the people who were having conversations around us and not at all caring that maybe they were talking loud enough where other people couldn't hear and a few other things.

When that was finally over, the freshman split up into groups and went with out "Acorn" leaders for an orientations session while the parents stayed in the auditorium for who knows what. Mom only told me about her opening a can of worms when she asked who would be staying in the dorms and if that was monitored. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that happened.

In stead, I was playing and ice-breaker game, turning in forms, learning about campus, and receiving my schedule. The groups split up again, and mixed with others, and I started talking to various people as we walked over to Spencer Hall, the dorm where I'm staying.

While I was there, I signed up for marching band (even though it's already on my schedule, I still had to sign up so they knew what instruments to expect), decided what time I'd move into the dorms on the 27th, talked to someone about the meal plans and such, and got to see my dorm room. I actually went up with a junior and a girl from my floor but in the other wing. She has a triple and it looked pretty cool. The girl showing us our dorms had actually been in my room her freshman year. She showed us the balcony and a few other things we needed to know about Spencer.

As soon as I walked into my room, I was overwhelmed with this amazing sense of belonging. I couldn't help but smile because I knew that it was going to be my room. Well, mine and my roommates. But we've been talking for a month or so, and I think the two of us are going to get along quite nicely. This feeling was just...incredible. If it were my choice, I'd move in right now! I really can't wait!

So, I met back up with Mom, ate some pizza, showed her my room, saw the model room, and went and got my MBC ID made. We talked to some students and faculty members before finally heading back to the car. We drove up to the bookstore where my mother bought a few shirts and we did some more exploring before walking back to the car and getting in. We started to explore Staunton but I passed out before we even left. I was exhausted.

I actually slept most of the way home.

We did stop for a snack, and when we were in the store this random guy I'd never seen before walked in, smiled at me and said, "How are you today, Hannah?" like he'd talked to me before. I was hocked and trying to figure out who he was and how he knew me until my mom realized and pointed out to me that I was still wearing my name-tag. He thought it was rather amusing. I thought it was funny, too, that he was just going to keep letting me think that he was stalking me or something. Haha!

Anyways, I really can't wait! If it were my choice, I'd move in now because it just felt so perfect and I'm just that excited! I've just barely scratched the surface, and I can't wait until I can fully immerse myself into being "Boldly Baldwin."

Hannah Haugen
The Daily Blahgger

Me at the MBC campus! Isn't it pretty??

This is Gladys the squirrel. She's the mascot of MBC
"The Fighting Squirrels"

No comments:

Post a Comment