Saturday, July 20, 2013

Why I should have been born a potato....

Greetings, my loyal Blahggers!

Or, welcome to those of you who have merely stumbled across this blahg by mistake, on purpose, or came on a recommendation!

Today I am letting loose a bit of my insanity and am here to give you several reasons as to why I should have been born a potato. Or, why ANYONE should have been born as such.
Yes. Like I said, today is a nuts post. Only it isn't because we're talking about a root, not a nut. 

Which brings me to my first point. A potato is a root with roots that connect it to other roots. Similar to a family tree or a "friend circle," both of which I have. My roots are deep and run far back, connecting me to potatoes on the other side of the plant...I mean...People on the other side of the world....

First off, the potato and I have a similar anatomy. We both have eyes. Yes, eyes. I have two upon my face that I use to see. Although the potato cannot see, to my knowledge as a non-potato, it has several eyes that are from the "buds" of roots that often come out of potatoes.
Now, many of you have probably heard the phrase "you are what you eat" from your mothers or other people making fun of you. I thoroughly enjoy consuming potatoes. Baked potatoes, french fries, sliced potatoes, potato chips, mashed potatoes, tater tots, you name it, I love eating potatoes. So, since I eat so many, and you ARE what you eat, I should actually be a potato.

I often find that I have become a couch potato with my laptop.

 And I bounce around like a hot potato being passed from person to person.

Potatoes are called by many different names depending on who you're talking to, such as potato (poh-tay-toh), potato (poh-tah-toh), patate (Italian), peruna (Finnish), potet (Norwegian), potatis (Sweedish), patata (Spanish), pratai (Irish), pomme de terre (French), kartoffel (German/Danish), kartafla (Icelandic), aardappel (Dutch), and so forth.

I am the same. I go by Hannah, Big Sis, Hannah Banana (only from my grandfather - no other human being on this planet is allowed to call me such), Haugen, Hanny, Applebutter, Flumpet (I marched trumpet in the flute section junior hence. I am a flute-trumpet. A flumpet!) Number 2, Hannahbelle, Michelle (because my coworkers decided that was my name, possibly to distinguish me from the other Hannah, but I have no clue), Pumpkin (I was born just before Halloween, so it fits :) ), and whatever other people have decided to call me.

That, and potatoes are just awesome. Like I am. :)

I mean, come on! It's a staple in the diets of SO many different countries! And I can sing several songs about them! (The Wiggles - "Hot Potato" - Look it up.)

Now, as for reasoning, if you want more "rational" then, well....You should probably stop reading! Because I'm not exactly a "rational" thinker, you know? ;D

I think the life of a potato would be awesome! Born in the dirt, I could either be pried out of my muddy home or grow roots and resprout like some awesome daisy! ....'Cept I wouldn't be a spring flower (although the DO flower...hmmm...).

I could either help in the lives of animals, or be harvested by people. At this point, I'd have three more possible tracks to my life:

One

I could be brought inside, washed up, and made into something yummy to eat!

Two

I could be packed up, brought to a local produce stand or market of sorts, see lots of interesting people walk by, possibly picking me up and examining me to see if I'm good enough or not, socialize with the other produce and whatnot around me, be bought, brought to someone's home, washed up, and made into something yummy to eat!

Three

I could be packed up, sold, travel around the world, seeing many different sights, sounds, and people from different countries, be brought to a store like Food Lion or Walmart, placed on a shelf, possibly get picked up and examined by more interesting people to see if I'm good enough or not, socialize with the other produce and whatnot around me (DEFINITELY asking about their travels and telling of my own!), be bought, brought to someone's home, washed up, and made into something yummy to eat!

Okay, so, pretty much what happens is I don't live long and I end up getting eaten no matter what, BUT, it'd still be fun while it lasted. :) Really, it'd be fun to be born as anything. But, I'm happy to have been born as I was.

Being born a human, I get to sit down at the dinner table and enjoy the delicious food that is set before me. What I'd give for a good baked potato.....

Hannah Haugen
The Daily Blahgger

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this one! It's probably one of my favorites that you've written. And you said you couldn't even come up with one reason... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I had LOTS of help from people I randomly popped the question on. :)

      Thank you, my fowl friend <3

      Delete