Friday, July 5, 2013

Mad for Mike

Hiya, Blahggers! 

So, recently I've been obsessed with a YouTube star who makes all his own music. He does original pieces, yes, but what I mean by "makes his own music" is every sound you hear in these songs is a sound he made with his body. He uses no instruments. Perhaps you've heard of him or seen the Harris Teeter commercial he did. His name is Mike Tompkins. And he is totally amazing!

You wouldn't think he could do it, but he does and it's really cool to listen to! The covers he does of songs like "Fireflies," "Suit and Tie," and "Dynamite" sound amazing. As a plus, they actually sound pretty ding-dang close to the originals. He, of course, sings, as well. 

As a person who loves to sing and listen to music, I get hooked an I get REALLY hooked. I love the way he sings and think he has a pretty good voice. (It doesn't hurt that he's got really good hair and is rather good-looking, either...In my opinion. Anyways...)

Each time I watch one of his videos I become more and more amazed by the music he creates with his voice and mouth. I've tried to do what he does and, well, let's face it, the most I can do is buzz a few notes thanks to my being a trumpet player.

A lot of the sounds he makes don't sound like thinks that can come from a person. For example, Dog Days. (That's the video I posted below.) The background music sounds like something made from real instruments or maybe a synthesizer. 

Not only do his covers blow me away, but so does his original music. His Christmas songs are rolling-on-the-floor funny and really awesome, too. His song "Stars Align" is fun to listen to. The sound is different, but fun to listen to. 

I recommend you check him out! He's on tour with the Jonas Brothers this summer, if you (unlike me haha) are going to see the concert. In the mean time, check out all his epic YouTube videos. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

Hannah Haugen
The Daily Blahgger


"Dog Days" - which is one of my faves! Hope you like, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment