Saturday, July 20, 2013

Journalism-ing

Heyo, Blahggers!

It's finally here! The post about the best class EVER to grace the planet! Journalism!

You may or may not know this, but Isabel and I were in the same class this past year. Our little almost-sophomore had an amazing first year in journalism, if I do say so myself. ;) She did have some pretty awesome mentors....Myself included. Haha!

I learned a heck of a lot more my second and third years as a journalism student than I did my first. That's completely because we moved to Virginia after my first year of journalism. This new journalism class COMPLETELY changed my writing, at least when it came to articles for the paper.

This past year, not only was I a writer, I was a page editor, as well. And a photographer when they needed a picture fast. i was handy to have around I guess. Haha! I could tell you a million things I learned from our award-winning teacher about our award-winning paper.

Or, I could just talk about the class...But there's too much to talk about!

I guess I can start with the way the classroom works....All the classes had a mixture of different levels of journalism (J1-J4) so that the elder and wiser (Psshhhh) could mentor the younger. I had two really good friends in my grade in that class, as well as a junior (going on senior) and various freshman and sophomore buddies. A couple really good friends were among the underclass ranks, as well.

We all worked together to put the page up and get articles done. And as a progressively tighter-knit group as the year went on, we were they for help and support for each other when it came to articles, page ideas, school troubles, and any other life drama or problem we needed help with or that was difficult, terrifying, depressing, or stressful to the point of tears.

I made an amazing group of life-long friends in that class, to say the very least about them.

Our teacher was the same. She is hard on us when she has to be, but most of the time is pretty laid back and funny. (When we're doing what we're supposed to do....) and is also caring and sweet. DEFINITELY a keeper teacher, if you ask me. XD

What's really amazing about her, is the woman is SEVENTY and is STILL TEACHING! She loves teaching and doing what she does. :) And we love her for it!

Journalism is a class that improved my writing like MAD, and made some of the greatest friendships I'll ever have. Ones that I really hope will outlast the test of time!

Rocking out with style, I loved every second of that class. And I love the wonderful people in it. (Shout out to you guys - you know who you are!!) We made so many shared memories that I'm going to carry with me forever. And I really do believe that going through that class with those people for the past two years has really changed me for the better. <3

Hannah Haugen
The Daily Blahgger
We're one tight-knit group of people :)
(This pic includes myself and Isabel)

No comments:

Post a Comment