Saturday, June 29, 2013

I'd Like a Coke, Doncha Know

Have you ever noticed that people in commercials or TV shows tend to talk like you? I never understood that because there are so many dialects and accents in these fifty nifty United States. There's the good old Southern drawl, the stuck-up-speech of the East Coast, and, of course, the MinnesOtan accent.

I'll admit it, Blahggers. I'm from the great state of Minnesota. As such, I tend to have a sliiiiight Minnesotan accent. SLIGHT. However, ever since attending what might as well be Norwegian Indoctrination Lutheran College, I've become...well...used to the accent. Now I've found that more often than not, I draw out my O's, eh? Oh no...

Anyhow, people on TV shows (unless they're set in one of these areas) always talk normal. But what is normal?? Apparently, California. Or, as my friend Elisa claimed, Nebraska, since "Nebraskans have the purest form of English". Yeah no.

People from any given area, are ALWAYS going to make fun of people from another given area. I like to make fun of how to Bostonians, if you say "khakis", they're going to hear "car keys". Or how about how if you order ANY kind of pop (soda?) in the south, you're going to have to ask for a Coke. However, I generally only make fun of my friend Jaakob from Canada. That's always fun.

Unless...what if CANADA TOOK OVER THE WORLD??

Now THAT'S a scary thought, doncha know?

Mandolin Smith
The Mad Musician

No comments:

Post a Comment