Sunday, June 9, 2013

Saucing up Science with some Theory

What's up, Blahggers?

So, recently I've been OBSESSED with this one YouTube channel called Vsauce. This guy is totally NUTZO, but the points he brings up are really interesting. He talks about why we find things cute, why we wear clothes, if our reds are the same. (That was the first one I watched and I embedded it at the bottom of the post.) Personally, I found this EXTREMELY fascinating. I LOVE science and conspiracy and theorizing and whatnot.

He tends to mix science and theory but backs everything he says up with facts or accepted theories of others. The tangents he goes on also keep you interested. He talks about apes and their ability to understand, answer questions, and be curious...But then he says that no ape has ever actually ASKED a question before. Like I said, I love science stuff. Hence why I took AP chemistry this year. As for conspiracy and theorizing, well, you'll have to as Matt and Britt about that one...Trust me, it gets pretty bad.

Anyways, I love the way he explains these things. I don't have a very good memory and for me to be able to repeat what he says like I have to a few friends after only watching it one time (I watched it again before I started typing this up, for the record) is pretty amazing.

Another video of his I'm particularly fond of is the one where he explains what "deja vu" is and why we experience it. I learned another phrase from that video: parque vu. Parque vu is the experience when something is on the tip of your tongue. Like, it's literally RIGHT THERE but you cannot for the LIFE of you remember it. Apparently your brain has the mechanism where it lists things that are close to it and, without meaning to, those words completely surround and block off the one you're looking for. So, when you stop thinking about it and go do something else, your mind starts to let go of all those words until the one you were looking for is completely unblocked. And that's why, maybe sometimes hours later, it just goes BAM! and smacks you right across the face!

I also like his video about why things are cute. I like cute things and am a complete baby monger, so when he explained that the REASON we find cute what we do is because the features of what we find cute resemble the features of our offspring, I was totally excited.

Now, many of his videos feel like he leaves off with a question or a few of them to keep you wondering and guessing.  I really like that. It sends my head on this whole journey through itself - theorizing and making connections and whatnot. And when my mind gets going, it GETS GOING.

So, I encourage you to check out the Vsauce channel. :) I've posted the link with all the other Blah's links on the right hand side of the page. Enjoy!

Hannah Haugen
The Daily Blahgger


No comments:

Post a Comment